Wednesday, April 7, 2010

In The Works

So my son is 2 1/2, I love his room - love! It was my first foray into modern 'murals'. The room is huge, way more than a toddler needs, but I find myself spending alot of time in there, it's our preferred play room. It gets the best light in the house, and has the most toys.

I've been wanting to make him a quilt for a long time, the colors in his room are my favorite colors and my fabric stash reflects that. Now that he's in a 'big boy bed' I've decided to start sewing all of my scraps together kind of randomly and seeing what I can come up with. I didn't have a plan when I started, but now I think I do.


I started with a bunch of narrow strips and just pieced them all together, it was kind of liberating to sew without a plan. Then with some of my bigger scraps I made some semi-wonky log cabinish blocks, (I don't know all of the technical terms), but basically I just winged it. I started the sashing the other day, and am anxious to get the rest of it pieced, but can't seem to find a few minutes to do it.

Here are a few of the blocks:
Here is the layout, I'll finish the white sashing and bind it in the stripe fabric from the center block. The colors should look great in there, now I just have to find some time.

No, it's not perfect, the wonkiness is in all different directions, some of the strips are random, wild colors, but I like it, I like that it wasn't planned.

2 comments:

  1. Love the squares on the wall - how fun! (Stopping by from the swap)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I do love the squares too... I can't wait to see his quilt in his room.

    ReplyDelete