Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jay McCarroll Habitat Challenge


Have you guys heard of the Jay McCarroll Habitat Challenge put on by Free Spirit and The Modern Quilt Guild? Well, all of the members of our little PMQG were given a fat eight bundle of some Jay McCarroll Habitat fabrics and asked to make a 12.5" square block adding only solid fabrics to the Habitat. These will then be assembled into a quilt for a local charity. I think this is a great challenge and was eager to participate. I knew I wanted to design a block for this challenge, and this is what I came up with:


I took my Habitat and added 2 aquas and 2 yellows, and started cutting and sewing curves (yikes). Super bias-y and stretchy. OK, so this block won't be going viral or anything, but I like how it looks, and I hope quilting will flatten it out. (Sorry Nancy.) Check out the Flickr group for the challenges from all the different Mod Quilt Guilds!



Then I played around with how these blocks would look as a quilt:


I kind of like it (lots)...but I don't know if I want to sew it. Hope you're all having a great quilt-y day!

Cheers, Jill!



3 comments:

  1. Sew it. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fricken fantastic block! I love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I love this pattern! Now I need to see if you posted the finished quilt... I love your FTLOS quilt you made too! :)

    ReplyDelete